Saturday, August 12, 2023

Birds Eye View - it's so cute! Try this Book Box project!

Greetings Fellow Crafty People!

This post is all about the projects that I made during my Live video this past Thursday night.  I'm featuring the Birds Eye View stamps - these birds are SO adorable!  I think it's the glasses that do it for me.  They put them over the top as far as cuteness factor. 

The stack of books in the stamp set gave me the initial idea to make a Book Box.  I love making these things and thought it would be perfect.  I also wanted to make note cards to fit inside, which is how I ended up with my box dimensions.  We'll go over that later on in the post.  

Just a reminder that I am generally Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I am streaming to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously.  


If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.


For my first two projects, I wanted to use the Notecard and Envelope set - but I wanted to break it up.  I'm using just the envelope with this one, and made the card from cardstock.  Starting at the TOP of the notecard, I've masked the stack of books.  I love it!

This little bird HAD to have these peepers for reading all those books.  I was also going for a Harry Potter color scheme...just because I like it.  :)  A Decorative Punch of Crushed Curry is glued down flat, then an embossed 2" circle.  Owl is hand-cut and popped up.


Paper measurements:
  • Merry Merlot (YES, it's retired):  5" x 7", scored and folded in half at 3 1/2”
  • Basic White:  3 1/4" x 4 3/4", for inside of card
  • Crushed Curry:  scrap to punch with Decorative Punch
  • Basic White:  2" circle, embossed with Exposed Brick folder
  • Basic White Thick:  scrap to stamp and cut owl and greeting
I did also hit the bird's wings and belly with Clear Wink of Stella.   Finish off with some Black Matte Dots.

Stamps:  Bird's Eye View, Go To Greetings
Ink:  Cherry Cobbler, Onxy (Versafine)
Paper: Merry Merlot, Crushed Curry, Basic White
Other:  Exposed Brick embossing folder, Decorative punch, 2" Circle punch, Clear Wink of Stella marker, Black Matte Dots

For the second project, I'm using the notecard piece and stamped the branches and leaves directly on the front.  The birds are stamped, colored and hand-cut.  Pop them up.  Very simple card.  What I wanted to focus on here was making the envelope.

I made the envelope with some Stargazing Designer Series paper and my Envelope Punch Board.  I pointed out that the SIZE of the envelopes is different.  The envelope from the Notecard/Envelope set is about 3 5/8" x 5 1/8".  The envelope that is made for a 3 1/2" x 5" card using the Envelope  Punch Board ends up being about 1/4" bigger all around.  Interesting!  This factored into my measurements for the Book Box - obviously, I want it to hold both cards and envelopes.


Paper measurements:
  • Basic White Notecard (pre-made/folded):  3 1/2" x 5" finished
  • Stargazing Designer Series paper (green print):  7 1/4" x 7 1/4"
I didn't add any gems to this one.  I colored these birds mostly with REGULAR Stampin' Write markers (water-based).  I had to use Parakeet Blends on the wings, because those are the only markers that I have in that color.

Stamps:  Bird's Eye View, Go To Greetings
Ink:  Old Olive, Early Espresso, Onxy (Versafine), Midnight (Catherine Pooler)
Paper:  Basic White Notecard, Stargazing Designer series papers
Other:  Markers

The third project is a super sweet tiny little Mini Circle Easel Card.  I made a tiny Circle Card a week or two ago, for a Crafter's Roulette Challenge, and then thought - I can make this into an Easel Card.   The base of this Mini Circle Easel Card requires (3) circles the same size.  I used the largest circle die in the Stylish Shapes dies, and cut out (3) pieces of Tahitian Tide.

I didn't add a lot to the front of the card...there isn't a lot of real estate to begin with. 


Paper measurements:
  • Tahitian Tide:  (3) 3" circles, cut with Stylish Shapes dies
  • In Color Designer series paper (Tahitian Tide print, retired):  about2 3/4" circle, cut with Layering Circles dies
  • Basic White:  about 2 3/4" circle,  again cut with Layering Circles dies
  • Basic White Thick:  scrap to stamp bird and greeting
The key with an Easel Card is to have a little something popped up on the INSIDE of the card, so that the front will stand propped up.


I finished off with some of the Iridescent Gems in Balmy Blue.  That blue seems to match a lot of different shades.

By the way - this card fits inside one of the 3" x 3" Mini Envelopes.  They're actually 3 1/8" x 3 1/8", so it's a snug fit.

Stamps: Bird's Eye View, Go To Greetings
Ink:  Tahitian Tide, Onyx (Versafine)
Paper:  Tahitian Tide, Basic White (Regular and Thick), 2022-2024 In Color Designer Series Paper (Tahitian Tide)
Other:  Iridescent Gems

The final project is the Book Box that will hold all of our cards and envelopes.  Remember that the Notecard Envelope that I MADE from the Envelope Punch Board is a wee bit bigger than the Notecard/Envelope sets that you can buy.  This box is custom-sized to hold the larger envelopes.

The box INSIDE of the book is 4 1/2" x 6" x 1.  Book cover is 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" x 1.

You may notice that I'm using Merry Merlot again - it IS retired, but apparently I don't have the new DSP prints.  I originally planned on making these Cherry Cobbler.  You get the idea!

Here are two other blog posts where I made Book Boxes:


Two Sizes (larger and I think a 4" Square size): https://tonistamps.blogspot.com/2021/02/book-boxes-two-different-sizes.html

Add your ribbons to the front and back book covers BEFORE you add those dsp/black layers.  This way, the end of the ribbon is buried under that layer for more sturdiness.


Paper measurements:
  • Merry Merlot (box):  8 1/2" x 10", scored at 1" and 2" on ALL FOUR SIDES. (watch video for assembly)
  • Merry Merlot (BOOK cover): 6 1/2" x 10 1/2", scored on long side at 4 3/4" and 5 3/4".
  • Basic Black:  2" x 6 1/2", scored at every 1/8"
  • Basic Black:  (2) 4" x 6 1/4"
  • Merry Merlot DSP:  (2)_3 3/4" x 6"
  • Basic Black:  scrap punched with Decorative punch
  • Merry Merlot: 2" circle punch, embossed with Timber folder
  • Basic White Thick:  scrap to stamp/cut bird
The outside spine of the book box is just decorative - I wanted it to look like a real book.  


Open the book box and see how everything fits inside, with plenty of room for more cards or trinkets.


I LOVE THIS Book Box!!!   I didn't add any words to front of this Book Box, because I don't think we always need words.  If I change my mind later, I can always add something.  I think this Book Boxes can be used to hold trinkets and other things later on. 

Stamps:  Bird's Eye View
Ink:  Onyx (Versagfine)
Paper:  Merry Merlot, Basic Black, Basic White (Thick), Neutrals Designer Series Paper
Other:  Timber embossing folder, Decorative Punch, 2" Circle punch, Black Scalloped Ribbon,

I hope you love these little birds and projects as much as I do, and find some time to try one or two things out on your own!

Don't forget to click on my Workshop of the Month page for full details of how you can get a Make-n-Take packet and embellishment.  This month's code is good through 8/31/2023.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #birdseyeview #bookbox

Gift certificates available anytime!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment