Saturday, April 20, 2024

Stippled Roses - Coloring techniques

Happy Saturday Crafters!

I feel like I'm ahead of schedule right now, updating my blog on Saturday!  :)  I hope you're all enjoying your weekend.  Today I'm posting the cards that I made on Thursday night, featuring the Stippled Roses bundle.  I shared a few different ways to color in these stamps.  These coloring techniques can be applied to any line-art type of stamp.   Anything that needs to be colored in.  I hope you enjoy them!

Just a reminder that I am generally Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I stream to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously.  


If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.


First card features watercoloring on watercolor paper, using ink blocks as my palettes.  I stamped the image in Catherine Pooler's Midnight ink.  It's waterproof.  Since I was stamping on watercolor paper - I used my MISTI stamp positioning tool so that I could ink and stamp it several times to get a good image.  Not all watercolor paper is smooth.  Some seems grainer or lumpier than others.  

For my "ink block watercoloring" method, I smash an ink block in whatever color to get some ink, and then use a water brush/aqua painter to pick up the color and add to my image.  With any watercoloring, you can use a wet-on-wet method, where you wet the paper before you add the color - which is what I did here.  You get a softer, more muted coloring.  Otherwise, you can do wet-on-dry, where you would NOT pre-wet the paper.  You end up with bolder colors.  Try it both ways!


Paper measurements:
  • Moody Mauve:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2”, scored and folded at 4 1/4"
  • Poetic Expressions Designer series paper:  4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
  • Basic White:  5 1/4” x 5 1/4”, for inside of card
  • Watercolor paper:  enough to stamp and cut out rose cluster
  • Basic White:  scrap to stamp and cut greeting
I did a little swoosh and loop of ribbon on the back of the rose cluster, and mounted that to my card front using foam tape.

I added some In Color Enamel Dots to finish.

Stamps:  Stippled Roses bundle
Ink:  Midnight (Catherine Pooler), Moody Mauve, Bubble Bath, Old Olive
Paper: Moody Mauve, Basic White, watercolor, Poetic Expressions Designer Series Paper
Other:  Sweet Sugarplum ribbon, In Color Enamel Dots

On my second card, I used the NEW Basic Beige ink pad to show the No Line Coloring technique.  I stamped the image in Basic Beige on Basic White THICK cardstock, then colored in with Stampin' Blends.  The Fresh Freesia was not a great choice...the images underneath kind of get lost.  I do like the Soft Sea Foam and Bubble Bath though.

This card has a shorter card front, so I could stamp the greeting right on the "inside" of the card.  Add an embossed layer, before adding the rose cluster and some more ribbon. 


Paper measurements:
  • Soft Sea Foam:  5 1/2" x 7 1/2"”, scored and folded at 4 1/4"”
  • Soft Sea Foam:  3" x 5 1/4", embossed with Layered Florals folder
  • Basic White:  4" x 5 1/4", for inside of card
  • Basic White THICK:  scrap to stamp/die-cut rose cluster

Here's the inside - now I can see that I stamped that a little crooked.  :(


Finish off with some Iridescent Pastel Gems and Silver & White Sheer ribbon.

Stamps:  Stippled Roses bundle
Ink:  Basic Beige, Fresh Freesia
Paper: Soft Sea Foam, Basic White (Thick and Regular)
Other:  Layered Floral embossing folder, Stampin' Blends (Bubble Bath, Fresh Freesia, Soft Sea Foam), Silver & Sheer 1/2" ribbon, Iridescent Pastel Gems

I think the last card is my favorite.  I call this coloring technique "Ink Smashing".  I featured this several years ago, when I first started making videos.  It's my take on "Ink Smooshing", but on a bigger scale.  I smash my ink pad on a glass mat and spritz on water.  Then I take my stamped/die cut images and drop/drag them through the ink - it's a very fast way to color things, and you get very bold colors depending on how much ink/water you use.  You DO need either watercolor or THICK cardstock.  The paper becomes very water-logged, and you will need to let it dry.  I love it for adding a lot of color quickly.

Otherwise, this card is fairly simple.  A white-on-white layered card, which I love - with embossing and then the greenery and flowers added.

Paper measurements:
  • Basic White THICK:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored and folded at 4 1/4"
  • Basic White THICK:  4" x 5 1/4", embossed with Basics #2 folder (which I did not realize is NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
  • Basic White THICK:  scraps to stamp/die cut leaves and roses
  • Basic White:  scrap to stamp greeting
I added some Wink of Stella to those roses...don't know if this picture is actually showing it.



I finished off with several Classic Matte Dots in white.

Stamps:  Stippled Roses bundle
Ink:   Midnight (Catherine Pooler), Crushed Curry, Pumpkin Pie, Poppy Parade, Old Olive, Garden Green
Paper:  Basic White (Thick and Regular)
Other:  Basics #2 embossing folder, Classic Matte Dots, Wink of Stella marker

I really hope you give at least one of these coloring techniques a try!

Next Thursday, I'll have my friends Gail (Stamp with GailSU) and Sue (Krusin' Through Ink) with me!  We'll all be stamping together live, creating something with some of our favorite Retiring products.   That Last Chance list is only open until 4/30/2024.

Paper Sale info in case you've missed it before:  ToniStamps: Paper Share for 2024-2025 Annual Catalog!


Don't forget to Click on my Workshop of the Month page for full details of how you can get a Make-n-Take packet and FREE STUFF for this month's workshop.  This month's code is good through 4/30/2024.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #stippledroses #inksmashing #nolinecoloring

Gift certificates available anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment