Saturday, October 2, 2021

World Card Making Day 2021 - Part 1 of 3 - String Art Technique

Happy World Card Making Day Crafty friends!  I am coming to you Live THREE times today, to share some different techniques and projects.  


I kicked off my WCMD celebration by demonstrating the String Art Technique.   This is a neat technique - every piece will turn out differently!



Watch it now on YouTube!  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.

For the String Art Technique, you will need the following items:
  • Card stock - I recommend THICK.  Something 100-110 lb.  I cut mine down to 4" x 5 1/4".  You'll need (2) pieces.
  • Reinkers - I use water-based reinkers.
  • String - Baker's Twine, Linen Thread, Yarn, embroidery floss...try a bunch of different things.  Try what you have in your stash before you go out and buy something.
  • Book - an old book, or one that you won't mind getting ink inside.
If you don't want to watch the video, I'll give you the gist of the technique:
  1. Saturate your string with reinker.
  2. Open your book and lay one piece of your cardstock down.
  3. Lay your saturated string on top of your cardstock - wind it around, make some loops, whatever you want.
  4. Lay the second piece of cardstock on top of that - you're making a sandwich.
  5. Close the book, and press it down with one hand.  Press firmly.
  6. Pull the string out from the bottom.
Depending on how much ink you saturated your string with, your String Art piece will need some time to dry.  I only made cards out of two of my finished pieces.  I'm letting the rest of them dry overnight.


For the first card, I used a String Art piece that I made a few years ago - I think this color was Glorious Green...that's been retired for a LONG time!

I added was a stamped greeting in the corner, and then some die-cut flowers from the Meadows dies.   I don't know how good this picture really is, but I covered the die-cuts entirely with my Clear Wink of Stella pen.  It's VERY shimmery!

This simple card comes together quickly, if you have a pile of pre-made backgrounds.  I finished off with some Elegant Faceted Gems.


Paper measurements:
  • Basic Black:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored in half at 4 1/4".
  • Basic Black:  4" x 5 1/4"
  • Basic White Thick:  (String Art piece) 3 7/8" x 5 1/8"

Stamps:  Shaded Summer
Ink: Midnight (Catherine Pooler)
Paper:  Basic Black, Basic White Thick
Other:  Meadows dies, Clear Wink of Stella pen, Elegant Faceted Gems

Next, I had a seahorse cut out of the Rainbow Glimmer paper, in my pile of extra bits and pieces.  I thought it went well enough with the String Art piece that I used Granny Apple Green and Bermuda Bay reinkers to make.  

I just added a few other sea life bits, and popped the seahorse up.  Finished off with some Opal Rounds.  


Paper measurements:
  • Bermuda Bay:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored in half at 4 1/4".
  • Bermuda Bay:  4" x 5 1/4"
  • Basic White Thick:  (String Art piece) 3 7/8" x 5 1/8"

Stamps:  Whale of a Time
Ink: Granny Apple Green, Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana
Paper:  Bermuda Bay, Basic White Thick, Rainbow Glimmer
Other:  Opal Rounds

I really hope you enjoyed this technique and give it a try!  I'll be going Live on Facebook again at 2:00pm, and then 5:00pm - all Eastern Time!
 
Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram *NEWish*:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #tonistampsandmore #wcmd2021 #worldcardmakingday2021 #stringarttechnique

Gift certificates available anytime!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment