Thursday, February 25, 2021

Gilded Leafing Techniques

This morning, I demonstrated a few different methods to add Gilded Leafing to your projects.  The basic principle with using Gilded Leafing (of any brand), is that you need something sticky for the leafing material to stick to.  Just about any type of adhesive works, and you get different looks with each.  I demonstrated just a few, but there are plenty more to try!
 

Just a reminder that I go Live on my Facebook Page every Thursday at 11:00am ET.
 
If you did not catch me live earlier today, you can still watch it on my Demonstrator Page now, OR on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.   
 

 
Starting with the red flower card - I used Heat & Stick powder to add the Gilded Leafing.  Heat & Stick powder is applied the same way as embossing powder - stamp your image in Versamark ink, add the powder, then heat it up with a heat tool.  The BIG difference is the time it takes to heat up.  Heat & Stick powder seems very fragile - it does not take nearly as long to cook up as embossing powder does.  We're talking a few seconds, versus a minute.  Figuring out the sweet spot is really all about trial and error.   
 
This flower image from A Touch of Ink (Sale-a-Bration freebie with $100 purchase!), is a 2-step Distinktive stamp set.  I stamped the outline of the flower first in black, then overlaid the flowers in Real Red (stamped off once).  After that dried, I stamped the outline again in Versamark, added the Heat & Stick powder and cooked it, and then applied the Gilded Leafing with my finger.  You really need to burnish the leafing in fairly well.  When I was finished, I swiped a microfiber cloth over the whole image.  
 
I wasn't 100% happy with how GOLD it all was - the outline of the flower was lost, so I went back and stamped the outline on top again in black ink.  I like this much better.
 
Real Red layer is embossed with the Painted Texture folder, and some strips of the Flower & Field Designer series papers bring in more colors.  Finish off with some Gilded Gems - they pair nicely with the Gilded Leafing.

Stamps:  A Touch of Ink
Ink:  Onxy Versafine, Real Red, Versamark
Paper:  Basic Black, Real Red, White, Flower & Field
Other:  Gilded Leafing, Painted Texture embossing folder, Stitched So Sweetly dies, Bumble Bee Ginham ribbon, Gilded Gems
 
Next up, I wanted a simple - no layer card.  I haven't done this style of card in a long time, and I still ended up adding a very small strip of Crumb Cake cardstock.  For this method, I added the Gilded Leafing using GLUE DOTS.  Yes, glue dots.  Place them in any pattern, or random placement, that you want.  Rub on the gilded leafing with your finger, and rub the excess off with the microfiber towel.  I really enjoyed the results using this method.
 
Other than the gilded leafing, this card is very simple - stamping in only two colors.  Added a bit of Fine Art ribbon behind that Crumb Cake layer.  Nothing is popped up.  No gems, because the gold leafing dots remind me of gems.  I did add Clear Wink of Stella to all of the leaves.  I love this card!
 
Stamps:  A Touch of Ink
Ink:  Early Espresso, Soft Seafoam
Paper:  Very Vanilla Thick, Crumb Cake
Other:  Gilded Leafing, Glue dots, Fine Art 3/8" ribbon, Clear Wink of Stella marker
 
This last card did not end up how I originally planned it, but I love it even more.  I was originally going to use the Berry Blessings bundle and make a blueberries card...but once I added the outlines of Gilded Leafing to the green plaid paper...I immediately thought it would make a perfect St. Patrick's Day card.  Yes!!!
 
For this final card, I added the Gilded Leafing by using Tear & Tape Adhesive!  Lay down that tape, peel it up - do that around all 4 sides, and then add the Gilded Leafing.  It was helpful to use a Silicone Craft Mat while I was working on this card.
 
I don't have any "St. Patrick's Day" materials, per se...but this plaid paper worked wonderfully along with the heart dies from the Stitched Be Mine dies.  Cut 4 hearts and build your own shamrock!  That's popped up on an embossed Granny Apple Green circle, and Garden Green circle.   
 
I had to go to an old faithful stamp set - Teeny Tiny Wishes - to find a St. Pat's greeting.  
 
The only difference on these two cards is the gems.  The one on the left was my sample, and I used the very last (3) Gold Glitter Enamel dots on that one.  The card on the right uses Gilded Gems.  They both look great!
 
Stamps:  Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ink:  Pumpkin Pie
Paper:  Garden Green, Granny Apple Green, White, Berry Delightful Designer series papers
Other:  Gilded Leafing, Tear & Tape adhesive, Stitched Be Mine dies, 2 1/4" circle punch, 2 1/2" circle punch, Dainty Diamonds embossing folder, Gold Glitter Enamel Dots, Gilded Gems.

Just a reminder, that my February Workshop will close out at 9:00pm ET this Sunday, Feb 28th.  That's the last day of Sale-a-Bration!

Next Thursday, I'll be presenting my March Workshop and you don't want to miss it!

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment