Friday, August 14, 2020

Sunbeam Technique - Two Methods

 Hello Crafty Friends!

Yesterday's video focused solely on the Sunbeam Technique.  It's a neat effect, and I hope everyone got something out of seeing both methods on different kinds of papers.  If you didn't catch me live, you can see it on YouTube now.  If the picture below does not appear, you can click HERE to get to it. 

 

I was really inspired to do some trees scenes with all the backgrounds that I created.  Ultimately, I only have four finished cards out of it, but I still have a BUNCH of backgrounds to use for other cards.

 

The two methods that I covered were 1) Adding White Craft ink to a masked background, and 2) Wiping/dragging OFF some of the color from your background with a wet paper towel/Wet wipe/wet q-tip.

I showed both methods done on watercolor paper, and Shimmery White card stock.  This technique is not well-suited to regular Whisper White or Very Vanilla (even the thick stuff) cardstock.  You need something a little sturdier, and able to handle all the water and ink.

You can also use some masking for either method, to control your beams, OR use a ruler and kind of go free-style (my preference!).  I honestly don't care for the harsh lines from masking.

Card #1 was done using Method #2 (wiping color OFF of the background).  I made the background ahead of time, using my Ink Smashing Technique on Shimmery White card stock.  Since this background was completely dry, it was a bit of a struggle to wipe some of the color OFF.  I was using a Wet Wipe, and it started to pill up the paper a little.  You can't see it, but you can feel it.  Colors are Old Olive, Granny Apple Green, and Bermuda Bay.

Card #2 was done on watercolor paper.  Again, I made the background ahead of time using my Ink Smashing Technique.   I really like that technique for getting a LOT of color coverage.  This time, I used Method #1 (adding Whisper White Craft Ink with a sponge).  I added masks to keep my sunbeams contained.  Same colors as above.

Card #3 was done using Method #2 (wiping color off).  This time, I made a fresh background on watercolor paper, by sponging colors all over it...so the ink was still damp when I went to wipe the color off.  I still used a Wet Wipe, and a ruler to guide me.  Colors are Granny Apple Green, Old Olive, and Garden Green.

Card #4 was done using Method #1 (adding Whisper White Craft ink with a sponge), on an Ink Smashed background on Shimmery White card stock.  I used masking, and this time I had the sun beams coming in from the side.  I like this effect!  I think these colors were Coastal Cabana, Bermuda Bay, and Misty Moonlight.  The more water you spray, the more they mix together...and now I'm not sure.

I know you can't really appreciate how shimmery these background pieces are (on the Shimmery White paper anyway), but trust me - they SPARKLE!  

Here are a few more that didn't get made into cards yet.  I really love the two left one - that reminds me of sunlight coming down through clouds OR underwater.  I also love the top right one with those greens.

Finally, at the end of my video I gave a quick recap on the Ink Smashing technique and made these two backgrounds.  Colors were Balmy Blue, Highland Heather, and Gorgeous Grape.  I used watercolor paper, and Shimmery White. These are definitely going into my background box for future use - they are GORGEOUS!

I hope this gives you some ideas for making sunbeams on your projects!

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Mountain Air, Whale Done
Ink:  Bermuda Bay, Old Olive, Granny Apple Green, Coastal Cabana, Balmy Blue, Highland Heather, Gorgeous Grape, Early Espresso
Paper: watercolor and Shimmery white for the backgrounds

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment