Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Bendy Pop-Up Flower Basket


I am so stoked about this card!  It's a new-ish pattern that is running around.  Some are calling it a Flat Fold Pop-Up card, or a Flat Fold Pop-Out card, or a Bendy card.  I prefer Bendy card. 

Let's get to the measurements first!  You only need 3 pieces. 


The card base is a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece (sound familiar...it's a 1/4 sheet of card stock)!  Folded in half at 2 3/4".

Middle piece is 2" x 4 1/2".  Score at 1/2", 2 1/4", and 4".  You'll put strong tape or glue on those flaps and stick to the card base.

Bottom Strip is 1 1/4" x 6 1/2".  Score in 1/2" from each end.  This goes across the bottom.

Basic assembly:  Attach the middle piece at the bottom/near the bottom -  line up the middle seams, fold the flaps IN.  Then you'll attach the long strip right across the bottom.  Again, fold those flaps in.


It's really that easy!  The fun part is making things stick out of it, and filling it.  I wanted a basket of flowers for this one.

I started by stamping and punching a pile of flowers and leaves.  I used my all-time favorite Flower Shop/Pansy Punch for the flowers.  They are retired, but still my go-to when I need punched out flowers.



My base is Terracotta Tile (all 3 pieces), then I embossed a piece of Crumb Cake and glued over top of the middle piece - so it would look like a basket.  

Crumb Cake piece was 2 1/8" x 3 1/2" wide, scored across at 1 3/4".  I made it a smidge taller than the middle piece, so I wouldn't see any Terracotta Tile under it.  I love the look of the Coastal Weave embossing folder!


I attached a set of leaves to the back of each flower with glue dots.  Then put some of them directly on the card with Stampin' Dimensionals, so they stick up.  To place your flowers so they are coming out of the pot - make some small strips of Terracotta Tile card stock to attach to your flowers.  It's important that your strip is the same color as your card base pieces, so it blends in.


Then glue dot that strip behind the middle layer.  Just make sure nothing interferes with the card folding a little.


I put the bottom strip on at the end.  You could stamp something on it, or in this case - I ran my Terracotta Tile ink spot directly across the paper.  This is called direct-to-paper, and it really only works with linen pads.  The new soft foam pads don't have any texture, and the foam just squishes across the paper for total coverage.  Ink spots are great for this.


Here's the finished card again.  Greeting is stamped in Old Olive, with the Magnolia Blooms stamp set.  Punched out with the Story Label punch.  I added a few rhinestones too. 


Here's a top view.  You can see down in there - all the layers of flowers that I put in.  To mail it, you just press it flat and slip into an envelope.  Really!  When you take it out of the envelope, it should pop back out like this to stand up on it's own.


I would love to see what you come up with for a Bendy card of your own.  My first try at this kind of card was a St. Patrick's Day card with shamrocks that I hand-cut.  I had the middle layer up too far, but it still worked out.


Give it a try - you could have just about anything popping out of this card!

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Magnolia Blooms, Flower Shop (retired), Gallery Grunge
Ink:  Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody, Old Olive, Flirty Flamingo, Gorgeous Grape, Bermuda Bay, Terracotta Tile
Paper:  Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody, Old Olive, Flirty Flamingo, Gorgeous Grape, Bermuda Bay, Terracotta Tile, Call Me Clover, Whisper White
Other: Pansy punch (retired), Story Label punch, Leaf punch, Sprig punch, Rhinestones.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment