Saturday, September 28, 2019

Step-by-step stand-Up Notepad and Pen holder for your desk


I found this idea from Intatwyne Designs (google for a great video!), but I needed a different size...so I changed measurements around, and I'm not sure if I assembled the same way she did.  So I'm sharing how I put it together.

Since I have not put the time into figuring out how to make and share a video, I chose to put together this step-by-step tutorial with pictures for you.  I hope you find it helpful!


The notepads I'm using are 4" x 6".

I used Tombow Liquid Glue for all of my assembly, but you can certainly use any strong adhesive that you prefer.

You will need (4) pieces of card stock for the holder.  I used all the same color card stock.

We will cut and score, and do some assembly of individual pieces first.  Then we'll complete final assembly of everything at the end.

A) 6 1/2" x 8 3/4". This makes the box that your notepad and pen holder go inside of. 

     1.  Score at 3/4" and 5 3/4" across the short side. 
     2.  Score at 4", and 4 3/4" across the long side.
     3.  Trim tabs, for box assembly.  Those little tabs in the middle will be on the INSIDE of your box.
 


B) 5" x 10".  This will be the stand that your box attaches to.
     1.  Score at 5".

     (No picture for this step.)

C) 5" x 4".  This will fold up to make the "W" so the stand stays together.

            1. Score at 1", 2", and 3" across the short side.



2.  Fold into a "W" shape.
  

D) 3 1/8" x 3 7/8".  This will be a smaller box, to hold your pen, which will fit INSIDE the notepad box.

     1.  Score at 5/8", 1 1/4", 1 7/8", and 2 1/2" across the long side.    (This gives you 5 equal sides).


2.  Fold all sides, and glue the 5th side on top of the 1st to close the box.
 
3.  Your pen box will look like this:


Now that we have all of our pieces cut, scored, and some bits together, we can put the whole thing together.



A) The notepad box - start by gluing what will be the back of your box to the small flap.  ONLY the back side.  You want to leave the front side/flap open at this point.
 


The next picture shows how you only want the back-side of the box attached to the flaps.

D)  Glue 2 sides of your pen box and tuck into the open corner of the half-assembled box from A).

 

     See here how the back side of the notepad box is the only part glued together so far.  The front side of the box is still open, so we can get that pen box inside.





A)  Back to the Notepad box - go ahead and glue the front side flaps, to form the box.  Your pen box is INSIDE this box, in the corner.
 
 

B) and C)  Next we'll glue the "W" piece to the Stand.


     1.  Glue one side first.  I don't know that it mattes if the W is a moutain or valley at this point.  It's just going to hold the stand together.


2. Glue the other flap to the stand base.



3.  Like I said - I don't think it matters if you have a mountain or valley here.





A) and B)  Glue your box to one of side of your stand.  You'll want to hold both pieces upright, so both pieces are flush with your table. 
 
This picture shows how I held them together.






Now, you're ready to decorate the front of your box!  Not pictured here, but I did add a layer of cardstock to the back side of my stand, to make it a bit sturdier.



For the front of the box, I used:

     Mossy Meadow:  4 11/16" x 3 11/16"

     DSP:  4 1/2" x 3 1/2"



Some pieces with the Stitched Shapes and Layering Ovals dies.



Colored and then hand-cut a flower.


Finished off with a Petal Pink ribbon bow, and some rhinestones.



I hope you've enjoyed making this notepad and pen holder!  

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Magnolia Blooms, To a Wild Rose
Ink:  Black
Paper:  Basic Black, Mossy Meadow, Shimmery White
Other:  Stitched Shapes dies, Layering Ovals dies, Rhinestones, Stampin' Blends (Petal Pink, Old Olive), Petal Pink 5/8" Striped Organdy ribbon, Clear Wink of Stella pen, glue dots, Stampin' Dimensionals.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment