Friday, August 23, 2019

Happy Hydrangea Birthday!


Pretty much every year, for the past 10 or 15 years, I've made my mom some kind of hydrangea card for her birthday.  I have used the same stamps, or dies, but it's always a different card.  MOSTLY, if not always, it involves purple hydrangeas.  It's a thing.  So this is the one that I made for her this year.

I started off with some watercolor paper, and Pigment Sprinkles, and some Ken Oliver Color Burst pigment powders.  The Pigment Sprinkles and Ken Oliver's are both pigment powders - just like Brusho, only made by Stampin Up and Ken Oliver.  Use them the same as you would Brusho powders.

I wet down my watercolor paper first, sprinkled some Gorgeous Grape Pigment Sprinkles, and some Indigo Color Burst down.  Kept spritzing with water and shaking out some more powders until I got it kind of the way I wanted.  It got too dark for my liking VERY quickly, so I put another piece of watercolor paper on top, to soak up some of the colors.  I ended up with two pieces that I liked.  I let all this dry over night before I cut it up, but you could also use your heat gun to dry it quickly.

I used my Thoughtful Branches dies, to cut out two "hydrangeas".


Then I decided that I liked the back side of one of the papers more, so I flipped one of the hydrangeas over.  I liked the dark with the light. 


Then it was just a matter of making the rest of my card.  I had this Print Pattern Background stamp laying around, so I used it with Lemon Lime Twist, and stamped off once to make it a smidge lighter.  Then I cut that layer with some Wonky Stitched dies from My Favorite Things.  I like that wonky stitching!  :)

Glued all my hydrangeas and stems down with liquid glue.  Added a knot of ribbon with a few glue dots, and popped up the greeting that I punched out with the Story Label punch.  Finished off with some rhinestones, and Clear Wink of Stella over top of both hydrangeas.


I went crazy with the envelope - used a LOT of different birthday stamp sets in my two focal colors, Gorgeous Grape, and Lemon Lime Twist.


Happy birthday again Mom!

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Hey You (greeting on card front and envelope), Print Pattern Background, Warmest Regards, So Hoppy for You, Birthday Balloons, Beautiful Birthday, Perfect Pairings, Itty Bitty Backgrounds
Ink:  Gorgeous Grape, Lemon Lime Twist
Paper:  Gorgeous Grape, Lemon Lime Twist, Whisper White, Watercolor paper
Other:  Thoughtful Branches dies, Wonky Stitched dies (My Favorite Things), Story Label punch, Lemon Lime Twist 1/2" Finely Woven ribbon, Rhinestones, Tombow liquid glue, Glue Dots, Stampin' Dimensionals.
 
Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment