Saturday, December 1, 2018

7" x 7" x 7" Box with Lid - Step-by-step Tutorial


I made this box for a gift that I made for my friend....I'll show you what I put inside, at the bottom of the post.   Below, I've written out step-by-step how to make the box and the lid.  I hope you find it helpful to make your own!


  
This box takes (4) pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock to make the box bottom, and (1) piece of 12" x 12" card stock to make the lid.

I will only give instructions for making the box bottom and top pieces.  You can decorate your lid, or even the side panels of your box however you'd like.

NOTE:  Whenever I make boxes, I always use my Simply Scored tool for the best, and most consistent, scoring results.

What you need:

·        Card stock: 

  • Box Bottom - (4) pieces 7 1/2" x 11". 
  • Box Top/Lid - (1) piece 10 1/8" x 10 1/8".  (you need 12"x12", and cut it down).
  • Sticky Strip.  Tombow liquid glue works well too, if you prefer that.

We'll go through making the Box Bottom first, then the Top.

1.  Start by scoring all (4) pieces of the 7 1/2" x 11" card stock:

  • Score at 7" across the short side.   That leaves you a 1/2" flap along the right side.
  • Turn card stock the left, and score at 7" on the long side.   That leaves a 4" piece that will be the underneath of your box.

2.  Cut the flap as shown in the picture below.



3.  Apply Stick Strip to the flaps on all (4) pieces, as shown below.  What you are looking at is the outside  of the box sides.  Fold all your score marks with a bone folder.  This makes a crisper fold, and a neater box.  Peel Sticky Strip, and attach flaps to bottom of next piece - chain them together until you get your box formed.



4.  The bottom flaps will get taped on top of each other.  This picture shows how much they will overlap - about 1/2". 


5.  I put this much Sticky Strip along the FIRST flap that I will tape down. Fold in the flap across from this one, and then stick this down on top of that.


 6.  For the remaining (2) flaps, I put this much Sticky Strip on and then stuck them down.

 
7.  The bottom of your box should look like this:

 
8.  This shows the inside of your box.  See how the side flaps are on the inside?  Then notice the bottom...no extra Sticky Strip anywhere.

 
9.  To make the lid, take your 10 1/8" x 10 1/8" piece of card stock, and score all (4) sides at 1 1/2".  Cut flaps, and lay down Sticky Strip as shown in the picture below.


10.  Fold all creases with your bone folder to make neat and crisp folds and corners.  Attach the flaps to the inside like this: 

11.  This is how your box lid will look:


12.  Put your lid on, and this is what you've got.  


13.  Decorate to your heart's content!  I put a few layers on the top of the box top, and made a matching tag.


So, what's inside the box?  An infinity scarf that I crocheted...notice the colors?  I used the colors in the yarn to make the box.  I'll show the birthday card in a separate post (it matches the box top).


I rolled the scarf up, and tied it with some ribbon, and it fit perfectly inside the box.


I hope I've given you another good option for packaging your gifts!

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps:  Gallery Grunge, Autumn Leaf Prints, Epic Alphabet, Itty Bitty Backgrounds
Ink:  Summer Starfruit, Smoky Slate, Basic Gray
Paper:  Summer Starfruit, Smoky Slate, Basic Grey, Whisper White
Other:  Scalloped Tag Topper punch, 2 1/4" and 2" Circle punches, Silver Sequin trim, 3/16" Braided Linen Trim, Smoky Slate/Natural Chevron ribbon, Basic Gray 3/8" Taffeta ribbon, Stampin' Dimensionals, Sticky Strip, Glue dots, Tombow liquid glue.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!



No comments:

Post a Comment