Sunday, April 22, 2018

Hubby's Birthday - Part 1



I should really write a book - The Joy of Making Gift Boxes!  I'm kidding...who has time for that?  But I do have time to make yet another box, and this one makes me so happy.  :)  Two things that I love about it - it's for my husband, and the colors that I used.  The color choices came directly from the designer paper, but Lemon Lime Twist IS one of my favorite colors right now.

For his gift, I needed a 5 1/2" square box.  I decided 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" tall would be perfect.  I also wanted to make the box so that the box bottom shows.



Top: Cut designer paper, 7 1/2" x 7 1/2".  Score each side at 1".

Bottom:  Cut card stock, 8 7/16" x 8 7/16".   (that's a SMIDGE - 1/16"- under 8 1/2" x 8 1/2").  Score each side at 1 1/2".

These are my basic box-making steps below.  The same steps apply for any shape box - square or rectangle.  Do this for the top and the bottom..


 
Once I had the box bottom and top made, I set that aside to work on the main focal point of the box - the layered Happy Birthday piece!


First, I used the Happy Birthday thinlits to cut out Lemon Lime Twist card stock.  I also cut the largest size square from the Stitched Shapes thinlits, out of Whisper White card stock, and the largest size scallop square from the Layering Squares thinlits, out of Night of Navy card stock. 

I layered all of those together, and then decided it needed ANOTHER layer.  I didn't have any bigger dies, so I just cut a square of Soft Sky and rounded the corners.  I finished the front off with a few Tutti-Frutti sequins.

I had a bunch of Night of Navy Crinkled Seam Binding that I wanted to use up, so I decided to gather it behind my Birthday focal piece.  Use Sticky Strip around the back edges, like so:


Peel off the red plastic and start sticking the ribbon on, gathering as you go around the square.

Looks kind of messy, right?  That's okay!  No one will ever see this side.  I put even more Sticky Strip across the back of it, and stuck it directly to the top of my box.


Here's the finished piece again, so you can enjoy without scrolling back up.  :)


I hope you enjoyed this gift box!  Tomorrow, I'll share the card that I made to go with it.  Hint - I made a 5" x 5" square card, with a matching envelope.  I used the same designer paper to make the envelope, only I flipped it so the print is on the inside.  The envelope fits inside the gift box perfectly.  Yay!


Stampin' Up supplies you'll need to create the gift box:

Stamps: hhhmmmm....I didn't use any on the gift box.  Doh!
Ink:  none of that either
Paper;  Night of Navy, Soft Sky, Lemon Lime Twist, Whisper White, Naturally Eclectic designer series paper
Other:  Simply Scored Scoring Tool (I always forget to list this, but I use it EVERY TIME I make something - especially boxes!), Big Shot, Happy Birthday Thinlit, Layering Squares Thinlits, Stiched Shapes Thinlits,  Night of Navy 5/8" Crinkled Seam Binding, Tutti-Frutti self-adhesive sequins, Sticky Strip, Tombox Liguid glue

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Order your supplies from my on-line store here, 24/7.  Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment