Saturday, April 7, 2018

Happy Birthday set - gift box



A friend has a birthday coming up, so I worked on her gift today.  It started out with this box.  I had SOME ideas on what I wanted to make, but the only things that were on my must-have list were to use one of my funky backgrounds, use the sneakers and guitar from Epic Celebrations, and to make a box to hold everything.

I ended up with a card, a pocket/gift certificate, and a box.  I'm posting all 3 separately, because there's kind of a lot of info in each one.

FIRST, the box.  Boxes are one of my favorite things to make.  I wanted to make this box big enough to hold a standard card in a Medium envelope, whatever gift certificate thing I made, AND I wanted it to be a two-part box (Lid and Bottom separate pieces).  I also wanted the style of box to be this  - such that the box bottom has taller sides, so the top/lid is put on and you can still see the box bottom color.

Box basics first!  I used Basic Black for the bottom, and Real Red for the top.  These is very basic box-making information.

Top:  card stock, 6 3/4" x 8".  Score each side at 1".

Bottom:  card stock 8 15/16" x 7 11/16".   (that's a SMIDGE - 1/16"- under 9" x 7 3/4").  Score each side at 1 1/2".

These are my basic box-making steps below.  The same steps apply for any shape box - square or rectangle.  Do this for the top and the bottom..


Once I had both of my box pieces built, I made the centerpiece for the top.  I started with a background that I created a bunch of weeks ago.  I used Brusho Colour Crystals (red and blue) and watercolor paper.  I sprinkled the dry crystals on the watercolor paper, then spritzed with water bottle.  I let this one dry over night.  You could also dry it with your heat tool and speed things up.

So I pulled this background out of my stash, and trimmed it down.  Mounted it on Pacific Point card stock, then onto Basic Black.

I cut out the Happy Birthday thinlits with Basic Black card stock, and glued that on to my centerpiece as well.

I added a flattened pop top from years ago, and some punched out stars.  Once I had my card and pocket/gift certificate INSIDE the box, I tied a double length of Pacific Point Stitched grosgrain around the box.

I finished it off by mounting the centerpiece on top of the ribbon with the Foam Adhesive Strips along the top and bottom.

Finished box measures: 4 3/4" x 6" x 1 1/2".



I really do love making boxes, and I have to admit that I've been stuck on this box style for a while now.  I love the color of the box bottom peeking out so you can see it!

I think I used just about every type of adhesive that I had.  I like to use the Tombow Liquid Glue when I'm attaching watercolor paper to anything, because the watercolor paper gets so warped, and it's go so much texture.  Plain old mono-adhesive doesn't seem to cut it. 

I also like a very strong adhesive on the flaps of the boxes.  Sticky Strip is my go-to for that.  Tombow Liquid glue would be a close second.

Stampin' Up supplies you'll need to create this:

Stamps:  Oops!  NONE!
Ink:  None of that either
Paper:  Real Red, Pacific Point, Basic Black, Watercolor, Silver foil
Other:  Big Shot, Happy Birthday Thinlits, Brusho Colour Crstals, Stampin' Spritzer bottle, Soda Pop Tops (retired.  smashed through the Big Shot to flatten), Pacific Point 1/4" Stitched Grosgrain (retired), mini star punch (retired), Foam Adhesive Strips, Fine-Tip glue pen, Tombow Liquid glue, Glue dots, Sticky Strip

I hope you keep reading for my next posts showing the card and the pocket/gift certificate that I made to go inside this box.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Order your supplies from my on-line store here, 24/7.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment