Saturday, March 17, 2018

St. Patrick's Day Springtime Foil treat box


You know how much I love to make boxes!  I took my original idea from the boxes that I made back in January, and used the same measurements.  Different papers, but same everything else. I made a few of these boxes for my husband and some favorite people at work.  There's just candy inside - green wrapped Hershey Kisses.  I was lucky enough to find bags of all one color Kisses in the party section at Walmart.  They only had one bag of green ones left, so I snatched it up.  Perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

By the way, these boxes hold quite a bit of candy.

For these boxes, I used the Springtime Foil specialty papers to make the lids.  These foiled papers are currently one of the FREE Sale-a-Bration items.  Free with a $50 (before tax/shipping) order.  These papers are extra thick, very shiny, and the foiled prints are gorgeous.  The thickness reminds me of the cardboard that comes in the back of the packs of designer series paper.  It's seriously almost that thick!

One thing that I found in stamping on these Springtime Foil papers - they are coated, which means the ink does not dry fast at all.  AT ALL.  It takes a REALLY long time to dry.  I probably should have heat set them, but I didn't know - until I had ink all over my hands, and it was too late.

The boxes are 3 1/2" square.  Here are some quick instructions for you:

1.  TOP/LID:  6x6 paper.  Score each side at 1 1/4".  Cut your flaps.



2.  BOTTOM: 6 15/16" x 6 15/16" paper.  That's just a smidge under 7x7.  Score each side at 1 3/4".  Cut your flaps.  Because these foiled papers are so thick, it's a tighter fit than normal.  You might could even go down to 6 7/8" x 6 7/8" for a looser fit.

The paper size, and the scoring, makes the sides of your box bottom taller than the sides of the top/lid.  When you slide the lid down on the box, it only goes until it hits the box bottom.



3.  Stamp all over your box lid, if you want to.  Add Sticky Strip (or Tombow Liquid glue) to the flaps on both top and bottom box pieces.  I did not use the liquid glue on the box TOP, because of the coated papers.  It would have taken too long to dry.

Notice the white space on my score lines?  That's because I scored the papers before I stamped.  Normally, I would have stamped first, but I'm actually glad that I didn't in this case - since the ink took so long to dry.  I let it sit overnight, and it still came off on my  hands some when I assembled.


I stamped Tangelo Twist speckles all over the box top after I took this picture.  I was trying to cover up where I had so many ink smudges.  It kind of worked.  :(  Then guess what - I had to wait for THAT to dry too!

EDITED - to show how I assemble the box pieces -

4.  Make your tag. I used the 2" Circle punch and the 2 3/8" Scallop punch. 

Here's the final version again.  I had just enough of the Emerald Envy wrinkled ribbon to tie around the boxes.


 Stampin' Up supplies you'll need to create these:

Stamps:  Teeny Tiny Wishes, Eclectic Expressions (Sale-a-Bration item), Gorgeous Grunge (retired), So Happy for You (retired)
Ink:  Lemon Lime Twist, Emerald Envy, Tangelo Twist (retired)
Paper:  Emerald Envy, Whisper White, Springtime Foiled specialty papers
Other:  Emerald Envy wrinkled satin ribbon, Whisper White Baker's Twine, 1/8" hole punch, 2" circle and 2 3/8" Scallop punches, Sticky Strip, Tombow Liquid Glue

I hope you enjoy the boxes!

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Order your supplies from my on-line store here, 24/7.  Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment