Saturday, August 15, 2026

Coaster Craftiness


Do you like the idea of recycling or upcycling in your craft projects?  Next time you're at a restaurant or bar, grab some coasters (new, or in good condition) for some fun!  I used four square coasters for these two projects.  Luckily, these coasters are 4" x 4", which is a pretty perfect size for cutting up 12" x 12" designer series papers!  You could certainly make things with circles or other shape coasters.  In fact, I showed two mini albums in the video, that I made using circle-shaped coasters from 2008/2009 time frame.  

I forgot to mention that you can also use the coasters as chipboard - die-cut letters or shapes to add to other projects.

The trickiest part of these projects was finding the right corner rounder that fit these particular coasters.  Luckily, I have a bunch to choose from!  The one that was the best fit was a retired SU Project Life corner rounder.

Just a reminder that I am generally Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I stream to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously, but I recommend viewing on YouTube.   

If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it.

My first project is a fun stand-up easel to hold a picture.  I envision this sitting on your desk (home or office), on a shelf, table or mantel - anywhere that you'd want to display a small picture.  The beauty of this is on the inside - I used a hinge at the top, and then a gusseted hinge at the bottom to keep it standing up.  It won't fall flat, or tip over.

I glued in the Top hinge FIRST, to the back sides of the two coasters.  Then cover that hinge with light pink DSP.  It's not necessary, but why not cover the hinge if you can?

Paper Measurements:
  • Everyday Essentials DSP (Floral print):  (2) 4" x 4"
  • Everyday Essentials DSP (light pink print):  (2) 4" x 4"
  • Bubble Bath (Top hinge):  3 1/2" x 2", score at 1"
  • Bubble Bath (Bottom Gusseted Hinge):  3 1/2" x 3", score at 1/2", 1 1/2", 2 1/2"
Picture from the side.  You can't see the top hinge, but you do get a look at the bottom gusseted hinge that keeps this standing up.


The greeting was from one of the Ephemera packs, and it is a sticker.  I wanted to create a tuck spot, so I stuck it on a scrap piece of Bubble Bath cardstock and trimmed around it with no border.  This allows me not to worry about the back being so sticky, or trying to make it less sticky with an Embossing Buddy or just tapping it on my pants or something.  Just avoid all of that, stick it on some cardstock, and move on.  I can slide whatever picture I want down there.   The tuck spot allows me to swap out pictures if I want, OR I can glue a picture down.  My choice.


I added the little pink flag at the top, and then two Fresh Freesia blooms around the greeting tuck spot.

Stamps:  None
Ink:  None
Paper:  Bubble Bath, Everyday Essentials Mix & Match DSP
Other:  Coasters, Here & Now Mix & Match Ephemera Pack, Meant for You Mix & Match Ephemera Pack, Self-Adhesive Blooms (Fresh Freesia)

My second project is one of my favorites - a MINI ALBUM!  I love using coasters to make mini albums.  You can either use a coaster for every base page, OR use the coasters just for the covers and create pages with cardstock/designer series papers.  I used the latter method.  Coaster covers, paper pages.  During the video, I showed how to make FOUR pages, and I talked about how you could add more pages if you want.  Well, I decided I wanted more so I made another set of four pages.  Same designs as the first batch.  Every page is a pocket page WITH an insert.  By my count, this little album will hold 32 pictures and/or places for journaling!  

Notice that I used two 1" rings to bind my album.  If you have some sort of binding machine, that would work as well.  I think the Cinch machine would be good.  I used to have the Zutter Bind-it-All.  Both are coil systems, and really good for making your own books, journals, or albums.  You could also do something entirely different and create a hinge between each page.  

I decided to make this a birthday album, but I don't know what theme I'm going with yet.  I could go balloons...florals...something else entirely.  Not sure, so I only put something on the front cover.  It's a piece from the Sincerely Noted Mix & Match Ephemera Pack.  I mounted that to a piece of Pretty Peacock.  Then I used three different ribbons to tie knots on the two rings.  You could certainly use three rings if you'd like.  I don't see that it gets you anything extra to use a third ring...but that's up to you.


Paper Measurements:
  • Beautiful Ordinary Life Covers (front and back of each):  (4) 4" x 4"
  • Lemon Lolly & Timid Tiger (Fold Up pocket pages):  5 1/2" x 8" each.  Score at 4", turn and score again at 4".  See video for how to trim and glue pockets.
  • Beautiful Ordinary Life DSP pocket pages:  (4) 4" x 8", scored at 4"
  • Flirty Flamingo & Lost Lagoon (Side pocket pages):  4" x 11" each.  Score at 1 1/2", 5 1/2", 9 1/2"
  • Beautiful Ordinary Life DSP:  (8) 1 1/4" x 3 3/4".  Add these bits to all of the pockets, whether they are along the bottom of a page, or the side.  Same size for all.
  • Cardstock (random colors from the paper pack) Pocket Inserts:  (8) 3" x 3 3/4"  (NOTE:  In the video, I said 3 1/4" x 3 3/4"...I changed my mind.  They were a little too tight, and will only get tighter when you add pictures.
  • Same cardstock color from above:   scraps to punch out tabs for the inserts.
Top view of the mini album.

One set of pages.  See how I staggered the 

Bottom pocket page on the left.  

Side pocket page on the right.  I mixed and matched the photo insert with the tabs at the top, so they're all different colors.

Like I said earlier, I finished off by tying some ribbons around the rings.  I'll add whatever ephemera or doo-dads that are appropriate once I add pictures and decide on the album them.  For now, this is a GREAT start!

Stamps:  None
Ink:  None
Paper:  Daffodil Delight, Flirty Flamingo, Lemon Lolly, Lost Lagoon, Petal Pink, Pool Party, Pretty Peacock, Timid Tiger, Beautiful Ordinary Life DSP
Other:  Coasters, 1" O-rings, Timid Tiger/Lemon Lolly, Pool Party Pom Pom ribbons. Sincerely Noted Mix & Match Ephemera Pack, Round-Tab punch, Keeping Tabs punch, corner rounder (old SU Project Life corner rounder)

I also gave a quick idea for making a box out of these coasters, and decided that I will make a separate video on that.  That project needs it's own video to focus on the assembly, and not rush through it.

This coming Thursday, I'll be creating another scrapbook project - probably a folio, but not sure yet - using the Waterside Retreat Papers, the Lakeside Retreat Paper Pumpkin kit (that I haven't even opened yet), and maybe the Sunset Coast bundle.  All of these products together should make for a pretty cool project!

REMINDER:  Paper Share information for the upcoming September Online Exclusives AND Sep-Dec 2026 Catalog.  15 packs of paper total!  https://tonistamps.blogspot.com/2026/08/paper-share-september-december-2026.html   Email me to sign up I could use two more to fill up my next batch!

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

*NEW* Toni's Amazon Store - shop for my favorite crafting items
Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #freeclass #upcyclecoasters #recyclecoasters #coasterprojects

No comments:

Post a Comment