Sunday, July 21, 2024

Wild Wheat - Love it or Hate it?!

Happy Sunday Folks!

Today I'm sharing the projects from my Thursday night Live.  Wild Wheat seems to be a color that people either Love it, or Hate it - so I thought I'd give you some ideas of colors that work great with Wild Wheat.  If you are firmly in the "Hate it" camp, then maybe you can at least copy my designs and change them up to use colors that you Love.  :)

Wild Wheat is one of the 2023-2025 In Colors, so we only have it available for about another nine months.   It will retire when our current 2024-2025 Annual Catalog retires next May. 

Just a reminder that I am generally Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I stream to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously.  


If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.


When I first saw Wild Wheat, my initial thoughts went to Fall because....it's my favorite.  :)  So this first card is more of a traditional Fall leaves card.  I used the Sketched Plaid background, which you could substitute for any other generic background - or even draw your plaid lines by hand with a marker.

I stamped and die-cut leaves from Autumn Leaves in "fall-y" colors:  Cherry Cobbler, Cajun Craze, and Wild Wheat.  The white greeting die-cut was too stark, so I ink-blended some more Wild Wheat all around it.  A couple of the leaves, and the greeting are popped up.


Paper measurements:
  • Pecan Pie:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored at 4 1/4"
  • Basic White:  4" x 5 1/4", for inside of card
  • Pecan Pie:  4" x 5 1/4"
  • Cherry Cobbler/Cajun Craze/Wild Wheat/Basic White:  scraps to stamp and die-cut leaves and label
I finished off with some old In Color Enamel Dots.  These are actually retired, but you could substitute with any doo-dad you have.

Stamps:  Autumn Leaves, Simply Said, Sketched Plaid
Ink:  Pecan Pie, Cherry Cobbler, Cajun Craze, Wild Wheat
Paper: Pecan Pie, Cherry Cobbler, Cajun Craze, Wild Wheat, Basic White
Other:  2023-2025 In Color Enamel Dots

I happen to think Wild Wheat goes with Gold very nicely, so the next card is all about gold embossing, black, and the Wild Wheat.  I used one of the Calming Creek Mix & Match Cards & Envelopes that I got at Convention back in March.  Add some layers of Basic Black and Wild Wheat.

Gold-emboss the bee on Basic Black cardstock.  Emboss the Wild Wheat with the Exposed Brick folder - or use whatever folder you have and love.  I like the Brick, because I think it's a pretty generic style.

This Queen Bee stamp set is still available as an Online Exclusive item.  The dies are no longer available, but you can hand-cut that bee.  Use any other "greenery" die or punch.  


Paper measurements:
  • Calming Creek pre-printed card:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2”, scored and folded at 4 1/4”
  • Basic Black:  3 1/4" x 4 1/2"
  • Wild Wheat:  3 1/16" x 4 5/16", embossed with Exposed Brick folder
  • Basic Black:  scraps to stamp/emboss/cut out bee, leaves and greeting
I popped the bee up.  Everything else is glued down flat.  Finished off with some more of the retired In Color Enamel Dots.

Stamps:  Queen Bee, Simply Said
Ink:  Versamark
Paper:  Wild Wheat, Basic Black, Calming Creek Mix & Match Cards & Envelopes
Other:  Exposed Brick embossing folder, Queen Bee dies, 2023-2025 In Color Enamel Dots, Metallic embossing powder (Gold)

For the third card, I went to the Color Wheel on page 132 in the catalog to choose some colors that are directly across from each other.  These are called Complementary colors.  If you find Wild Wheat on the chart and use a ruler to line up straight across - you get either Night of Navy or Blueberry Bushel.  I have made some really beautiful cards with Night of Navy and Wild Wheat, so I went with Blueberry Bushel this time.  I love it, and blue is not my favorite color!  

I thought the Sea Turtles would work perfect with this So Swirly embossing folder.  Now if you still hate Wild Wheat, you can certainly swap it out for another blue, or maybe even a green - whatever you think is good for turtles.

To get the multi-color turtles, I stamped the bodies in Wild Wheat, then again in Blueberry Bushel.  Cut out the Wild Wheat bodies (the whole turtle), and cut out just the shells from the Blueberry Bushel.  Layer the shells with a couple of dimensionals.


Paper measurements:
  • Blueberry Bushel:  5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored at 4 1/4"
  • Basic White:  4" x 5 1/4", for inside of card
  • Blueberry Bushel:  4" x 5 1/4", embossed with So Swirly folder
  • Wild Wheat:  1 1/2" x 4", embossed with Dotted Circles folder
  • Basic White:  a whole sheet to stamp several turtles and shells
I added some Blueberry Bushel gems from the Tinsel Gems 4-pack.

Stamps: Sea Turtle, Simply Said
Ink: Wild Wheat, Blueberry Bushel
Paper:  Blueberry Bushel, Wild Wheat, Basic White
Other:   So Swirly and Dotted Circles embossing folders, Tinsel Gems 4-pack

The final card uses another color combination from the Color Wheel.  This time I went for Triadic Colors - three colors that are evenly spaced out on the color wheel.  Wild Wheat, Summer Splash, and Petunia Pop.   I was really surprised at how well they go together!

In the video, you can see that I used the markers-on-stamp technique.  This Leaf Collection background stamp is perfectly suited to use the three different colors.  I used my MISTI tool,  and Stampin' Write Markers.  These are the water-based markers.  Do NOT use alcohol-based markers (Stampin' Blends, COPICs, etc.) on your stamps - you will ruin your stamps.  MUST use water-based markers.

You color the marker onto the stamp, huff on it, and stamp it down.  I did each leave twice, but you could certainly keep going to get your leaves darker and darker, to suit your taste.


Paper measurements:
  • Petunia Pop:  5 1/2" x 7 1/4", scored and folded at 4 1/4"
  • Basic White:  4" x 5 1/4", for inside of card
  • Wild Wheat:  4" x 5 1/4"
  • Basic White:  3 13/16" x 5 1/6"
  • Petunia Pop:  2" circle
  • Basic White:  1 3/4" circle
Finished with some Iridescent 1/2" Striped Trim and a few Brass Butterflies.

Stamps:  Leaf Collection, Simply Said
Ink:   Petunia Pop
Paper:  Petunia Pop, Wild Wheat, Basic White
Other:  1 3/4" and 2" Circle punches, Iridescent 1/2" Striped Trim, Brass Butterflies, Stampin' Write markers (Wild Wheat, Summer Splash, Petunia Pop)

I hope you love these ideas - and if you still hate Wild Wheat, just change the colors up.  :)

Reminder - Click on my Workshop of the Month page for full details of how you can get a Make-n-Take packet and a FREE embellishment for this month's virtual workshop.  This month's code is good through 7/31/2024.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #wildwheat #freecardclass

Gift certificates available anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment