Saturday, January 22, 2022

Let's Go Dutch! with Tulip Fields...

Hello Craft Friends!  I had SUCH A GOOD TIME Thursday night.  It was a trip down memory lane, and I ran over time because I was talking so much.  We took a trip to Europe in 2004, and that's what gave me all of these ideas for cards.  I called this session, "Let's Go Dutch!" because that was our first stop in our trip.  We stayed in Amsterdam for a few days, and that is what inspired these creations.

This week I used the Tulip Fields bundle (stamps and dies), along with the Daffodil Afternoon papers from Sale-a-Bration.  I forgot to order myself a pack of the Tulips papers...so I had to make do.  I did not have time to finish my last card during Thursday's video, but you get to see the finished piece here on this blog post.  

Just a reminder that I am Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I am streaming to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously.


If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.


Let's Go Dutch!  Everything I made will tie in somehow...

Let's start with the first project.  Inspiration for this card was bicycles!  When we first came out of the train station in Amsterdam, all we could see was rows and rows, parking lots full of bicycles!  I've never seen so many bicycles.  It's one of their main modes of transportation.  So that's led me down a rabbit hole thinking about bikes. 

The card design is called a Dutch Door card!  Really!?  Yes.  The idea of a Dutch Door is that the front card panel has the top half cut off.  Think of a door in a barn, where the horses can stick their heads out of the top part.  Like that.

Looking at it here, it looks like a regular card.


Then you open it and see the front is only HALF!  


You build up the front of your card with the greeting, and whatever you want to add.  If you don't have a bike die, you could add more flowers...whatever you want.

If the bottom half of the inside is not enough room to write your message in, you can add a piece of vanilla behind the front half flap too.

Paper measurements:
  • Flirty Flamingo: 4 1/4" x 11", scored in half at 5 1/2".
  • Very Vanilla: 4" x 5 1/4" (for inside of card)
  • Daffodil Afternoon Designer Series paper/Floral print: 2 1/8" x 5 1/4"
  • Daffodil Afternoon Designer Series paper/Diagonal strips print: 2" x 5 3/8"
  • Basic Black: 2 3/4" x 3 3/4", cut with Tasteful Labels die, then embossed with the Brick & Mortar folder
  • Daffodil Delight:  2" circle
  • Very Vanilla: 1 3/4" circle
  • Flirty Flamingo/Daffodil Delight/Basic Black:  Scraps to die cut bicycles  (I cut two in each color, and glued them together to make them sturdier).

I did cover all of the bicycles with the Clear Wink of Stella marker too, and added some Black Matte Dots to finish.

Stamps:  Tulip Fields bundle, Flowing Flowers
Ink:  Midnight (Catherine Pooler)
Paper:  Flirty Flamingo, Daffodil Delight, Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Daffodil Afternoon Designer Series papers
Other:  Tasteful Labels dies, Brick & Mortar embossing folder, 1 3/4" and 2" circle punches, Wink of Stella marker, Black Matte Dots

Next project was inspired by the Delft pottery that we found everywhere!  I don't think we actually went to Delft, but they definitely had a section of knick-knacks when we went to the windmills. These aren't exactly the same colors - I think theirs is a brighter blue.  I'm using Night of Navy, and Misty Moonlight.

The idea the inspiration for the design is all about Delft.  Blue and white, and patterns.


I wanted a square card, so this is a 5" x 5" finished size.  Layers are popped up with foam tape for more dimension.  

I had to use my Stamparatus tool to get the stamping exactly the same every time I turned the paper. 

Paper measurements:
  • Night of Navy: 5" x 10", scored in half at 5:
  • Basic White: 4 3/4" x 4 3/4" (2 pieces, one for inside of card)
  • Night of Navy: 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"
  • Basic White: 4 3/8" x 4 3/8"
  • Night of Navy and Basic White scraps:  to stamp/cut greeting

After I putzed around with the greeting forever, I popped it up, and then added some of the White gems from the Elegant Faceted Gems pack.

Stamps:  Tulip Fields bundle, Flowing Flowers
Ink:  Night of Navy, Misty Moonlight
Paper:  Night of Navy, Basic White
Other:  Elegant Faceted Gems

For my third project, I wanted to show you a Double Dutch Fold Card.  This is a really neat fun fold as well.  It's a partial top fold, with "doors" at the bottom.  Still using the Tulip Fields bundle.  This time I used the flower images to make my rows, and added the small windmill.


Open shows the doors at the bottom.


Paper measurements:
  • Basic Black: 4 1/4" x 9", scored at 5 1/2"
  • Basic Black: 2" x 8 1/2", scored in from each end at 2 1/8" (this makes your doors)
  • Very Vanilla: 4" x 5 1/4" (for inside of card)
  • Daffodil Afternoon Designer series paper/Curry flowers print: 3 1/4" x 4"
  • Daffodil Afternoon Designer series paper/Black & vanilla print: 1 7/8" x 2" (2 pieces)
  • Basic Black:  3 1/4" x 4 1/4", cut with Stitched So Sweetly dies
  • Very Vanilla: 2 1/2" x 3 5/8"

To get these rows of flowers right, you start with the horizon image - in Flirty Flamingo on my card.  Then use the triangle shaped flowers in the middle.  Then fill in using the triangle shaped flowers stamp, using different colors.  Don't worry if they aren't perfectly even!  Mine aren't...I'm not going to stress over it.

I did go back after the video and colored in the little windmill with some Stampin' Blends markers in various shades of brown.

I finished this card off with some of the new Classic Matte Dots in black.  These little things are taller than I expected...oddly so.  

Stamps:  Tulip Fields bundle, Flowing Flowers
Ink:  Flirty Flamingo, Crushed Curry, Pale Papaya, Daffodil Delight, Onyx Versafine
Paper:  Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Daffodil Afternoon designer series paper
Other:  Stitched So Sweetly dies, Stampin' Blends (various shades of brown), Classic Matte Dots (black)

For my last card - I ran out of time doing my video.  I had to go eat dinner, so I just made this one after the fact.  This one is not a fancy Dutch fold, but it focuses on the larger Windmill dies.  I used Sahara Sand and Soft Suede to cut out the windmill pieces.  

I actually cut multiple pieces.   i.e.  Two sets of the blades in Soft Suede, and glued them together.  This is just to make the pieces sturdier.  Then for the windmill itself, I cut two pieces of the Sahara Sand, and embossed one of them with the Bark folder.  Glued those together, and then glued on the Soft Suede windmill piece right on top.

Glue the blades to the windmill, and then I added a Brushed Metallic Dot to the center of the blades.  If I had a larger brad, I might have considered that...so it could still move.  Not this time.


More stamping of the flower rows.  This time I used brighter colors.

Paper measurements:
  • Mossy Meadow: 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored in half at 4 1/4"
  • Very Vanilla: 4" x 5 1/4" (for inside of card)
  • Daffodil Afternoon Designer Series paper/green leaves print: 4" x 5 1/4"
  • Pear Pizzazz: 3 1/2" x 4 3/4"
  • Very Vanilla: 3 3/8" x 4 5/8"
  • Soft Suede and Sahara Sand: scraps to die cut windmill pieces

Windmill is popped up with foam tape, and then the stamped layer is also popped up.  I might not be able to squeeze this into a medium envelope!

Stamps:  Tulip Fields bundle, Flowing Flowers
Ink:  Pear Pizzazz, Magenta Madness, Highland Heather, Daffodil Delight, Balmy Blue, Early Espresso
Paper:  Mossy Meadow, Pear Pizzazz, Sahara Sand, Soft Suede, Very Vanilla, Daffodil Afternoon designer series paper
Other:  Bark embossing folder, Brushed Metallic Dots

I really hope you enjoy these Dutch-themed cards!  It was a nice trip down memory lane for me.  I might even get my pictures out from that trip and actually scrapbook some of them!

Don't forget about my Workshop of the Month page for full details of this month's offer!  I'm giving away the In the Moment stamp set - winner will be drawn from everyone who orders using the Workshop Code this month.


Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #tulipfields #letsgodutch 

Gift certificates available anytime!

 

1 comment:

  1. I watched your video and loved it. It was nice to read your instructions. This is the first time I have read a blog…not very “techie.” Thanks for enjoyable programs…will “see” you tonight.

    ReplyDelete