Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Altered Heart Candy Boxes for Valentine's

  

I totally blanked and forgot to post this last week!  I spent all day, last Monday, working on these and making the video!  Snow and ice kept me home, so I made good use of the day!
 
I encourage you to watch my video, for the process and different mediums that I used to alter these candy boxes.  They were SO FUN, and are ADDICTIVE to make!!!  Check it out here:
 
 
You could really doll these up for any occasion - decorate to hold a gift for an anniversary or wedding, or just a special friend.  Then think about the rectangle boxes - Whitman's Samplers?  I haven't had one of those in a very long time ago.  That would effectually be the same as decorating a cigar box.
 
Starting out with the smallest one, I will give you a synopsis of what I did and used.  It was really a random collection of materials - much of it is retired.  I encourage you to go through your piles of crafty goodness, and see what you can pull together! Most of what I've used is no longer current product.

First, cover the front and back of the heart box.  I used Love You Always Specialty foil papers on the front, and Blushing Bride cardstock on the back.  Then I glued on a doily, and a heart doily.  Punch out hearts in Real Red and Blushing Bride, and embossed with different folders and glue them on.  Glue on a vanilla rose bud (it's flat on the back).

I stamped this little gnome guy (from Unity Stamps), and colored him in with several shades of Stampin' Blends markers...I think I used Real Red, Poppy Parade, Petal Pink, Flirty Flamingo, and Gray Granite (maybe?).  Hand-cut him out, and then add glitter to his beard.  He's so sparkly and cute!!!  Pop him up, and stamp the greeting (from that same stamp set), and punch out with a heart punch.  Add a bit of Blushing Bride Pleated Satin ribbon, and a Red Organdy bow.  Finish with some different sized rhinestones.

Stamps: Gnome-One Like You (Unity Stamp Co)
Ink:  Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Real Red, Blushing Bride, Very Vanilla, Love You Always Specialty papers, More Amore (cut the red heart doily out of it)
Other:  Large Heart Punch, Curvy Heart Punch, Embossing folders - Falling Gently, Parisian Flourish, and Tufted; paper doily, Very Vanilla resin flower, Iced Rhinestones, Basic Rhinestones, Blushing Bride Pleated Satin ribbon, Real Red wide organdy ribbon, Stampin' Blends markers (Real Red, Poppy Parade, Flirty Flamingo, Petal Pink, Gray Granite), Dazzling Diamonds Glitter, maybe even the Wink of Stella pen...  I think that's all.

Next up, I wanted a Golf-themed candy box for a friend who....you guessed it - loves golf!  I had just a little bit of this golf-themed paper left, so that was a perfect start for this box.  Notice how I used (4) pieces of the designer series paper, and added them in quadrants.  I actually made a line on the top of the box with a sharpie, so I could space them out evenly.

You can't see - but on this box and the larger one, I painted the side of the heart boxes black.  I started with a layer of Gesso first, then used black craft paint.  That's just because I didn't want the red foil of the side to show...it didn't go with my themes, so I had to cover it up.  :)  You could paint the entire box if you wanted to.

Again, I used the same two heart punches and some different embossing folders.  I also cut a larger heart out of a retired set of Heart dies that I have, and embossed that too.  Glue the hearts down, pop some of them up with dimensionals.  As far as ribbon, I had some Navy Corduroy ribbon and Garden Green grosgrain.  I stapled those together, and attached them to the front/top right area of the heart box.  Covered that part up with that blue heart.  The ribbons still move freely, which I like.

For the sentiments and focal point on this one, I used a few more different dies. "Happy Galentine's Day" is from Ink Road Stamps, called Modern Romance.  The golf cart die is from Gina Marie Designs.  Then I had the "love" and "you" from some retired Stampin' Up die sets.  I finished off this box with some Gilded Gems.  I liked the BIG, CHUNKY look of those Gilded Gems with this theme box.

Stamps: Modern Romance (Ink Road Stamps)
Ink: Night of Navy
Paper:  Night of Navy, Garden Green, Real Red, Crushed Curry, Basic Black, White, Country Club designer series paper
Other:  Celebrate You dies, Expressions dies, Golf cart die (Gina Marie Designs), Large Heart Punch, Curvy Heart Punch, Embossing folders - Corrugated, Dainty Diamonds, Painted Texture, Tufted;  Night of Navy Corduroy trim, Garden Green 1/4" Grosgrain ribbon, Gilded Gems
 
Finally, I made the largest box for my husband.  This box was so big that I had to use 12x12 paper to cover the front and back.  Again, I did paint the sides of this heart box in black.  The back/bottom piece of the box is covered in Night of Navy card stock.  Nothing fancy...just covered it up.  

I used an entire sheet of 12x12 See a Silhouette designer series paper to cover the top of the box.  I like this swirly pattern with all the blues.  To break up some of that pattern, I added a fairly large VELLUM heart on first.   Then added some different sized hearts that I cut/punched out with dies and punches.  Emboss them, like I've been doing.

For this one, I brought out my old-timey label maker to make my greeting bits.  I love that thing!  And I have tape in a bunch of different colors.  Add a double-bow with two different kinds of ribbon - grosgrain and organdy.  Finish with some Blue Adhesive Backed Gems. 

Stamps: Distressed Lines (Technique Junkies)
Ink: Night of Navy
Paper:  Night of Navy, Misty Moonlight, Vellum
Other:  Heart dies, Large Heart punch, Curvy Heart Punch, Label Maker, Embossing folders - Dainty Diamonds, Seaside, Seabed; Blueberry Grosgrain, Bright Blue wide organdy, Blue Adhesive-Backed Gems
 
Go out and grab a few of these candy heart boxes this week, and doll them up for your Valentine!
 
Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment