Friday, August 21, 2020

Square Cards

 Hello Crafty Friends!

Yesterday's video showcased Square Cards.  I showed three different sizes of Square Cards, and explained why I like those sizes.  

 If you didn't catch me live, you can see it on YouTube now.  If the picture below does not appear, you can click HERE to get to it. 

First up is a 4 1/4" Square Card.  This one is using Just Jade and gold.  I embossed a 2 3/4" x 4 1/4" strip for the card front, using one of the new Wrapped in Texture folders.  Then I swiped my Versamark ink pad across it, to add gold embossing powder.  I love that effect, even if you were to use regular ink.  It highlights the texture.

Die cut a lot of different leaves and stems, and glue them to the card front.  Cover up all that glue with a label.   I die cut that from the Stitched So Sweetly dies.

In  the video, I show coloring the ribbon with the Just Jade Stampin' Blends marker. 

Finish off with some of the new Wonderful Gems.  They really are wonderful!  They look like someone sprinkled glitter on them - they're not all the same.

Stamps:  In the Pines
Ink:   Versamark
Paper:  Just Jade, Gold Foil, Brushed Gold
Other:  Wild Rose dies, Banded Together dies, Stitched So Sweetly dies, Wonderful Gems, gold embossing powder, Very Vanilla/Gold edged Metallic ribbon, Just Jade Stampin' Blends

Next, I moved on to a 5 1/2' Square Card.  I like this size, because it is the largest size square card that you can make from an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of card stock.  
 
I used two layers of Very Vanilla.  I stamped on a piece, 5 1/8"square, and mounted it on another layer 5 1/4" square.  This gives it a border/frame that I think looks nice.
 
I used three different shades of pink:  Rococo Rose, Flirty Flamingo, and Petal Pink.  I challenge you to pick your favorite color and use three different shades together on the same project.  It will look great!
 
Add another embossed label from the Stitched So Sweetly dies, with a ruffle of lace trim under the bottom.  I show you how to make that ruffle in the video.
 
I finished this one off with some Elegant Faceted Gems.

Stamps:  Beautiful Friendship
Ink:  Rococo Rose, Flirty Flamingo, Petal Pink, Soft Seafoam, Versamark
Paper:  Rococo Rose, Very Vanilla
Other:  Stitched So Sweetly dies, Vanilla Lace Trim, gold embossing powder, Elegant Faceted Gems

For the last card, I made a 6" Square card.  LOVE LOVE LOVE how big this card is!  You can really do a lot with a card this size - even add a picture if you want.  Remember when we used to make 6" x 6" scrapbooks?  
 
I started with a 6" x 12" piece of Pacific Point for the card base.  Fold that in half, and layer on Just Jade, and a piece of the Whale of a Time designer series pack.  This was a great choice, because most of the scene was already done for me!

I punched and put two whales together, using the Whale punch.

The greeting is stamped and embossed on vellum card stock.  You can emboss on vellum cardstock WITHOUT warping the paper, as long as you heat up your heat tool for a bit BEFORE you cook the embossing powder.  So it's got to be really hot, and move around really quickly.

Finish this one off with some Artistry Blooms sequins.

Stamps:  Whale Done
Ink:  Versamark
Paper:  Pacific Point, Just Jade, Basic Black, Real Red, Whisper White, Vellum, Whale of a Time dsp
Other:  Stitched Be Mine dies, silver or gold embossing powder, Whale punch,  Pearls, Artistry Blooms Sequins

I hope this gives you some ideas for Square cards!  They are fun and something a little different from our norm.

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Mountain Air, Whale Done
Ink:  Bermuda Bay, Old Olive, Granny Apple Green, Coastal Cabana, Balmy Blue, Highland Heather, Gorgeous Grape, Early Espresso
Paper: watercolor and Shimmery white for the backgrounds

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment