Sunday, August 9, 2020

Bleaching on your cards!

 

Yesterday, a few friends and I got together on-line and played with the bleaching technique. It was a lot of fun, and we all got different results. These are my favorite panels, so I turned them into cards. It was very interesting to see how different colors of card stock got different results.

Most surprising to me was that I got ZERO affects from bleaching Basic Black card stock!!! Gasp!? For real! Years ago (15-20 years), when I tried bleaching, my Basic Black card stock bleached out to a gold/yellow color. Now, I got zero reaction. Strange, and disappointing.

As far as the bleaching technique - there are two ways to bleach your cards. We tried both.

Method #1: You emboss an image, and then paint in bleach (inside the embossed lines), using a paint brush/waterbrush/q-tip. You can keep painting on the bleach, until you get the effect you want - if it's going to change color at all.

Method #2: Make a bleach ink pad - fold up some paper towels inside of a container, pour in enough bleach to soak them, and then use that like a regular ink pad. You need to clean your stamps off immediately when using this method. Bleach is not good for rubber, and we didn't try it with any photopolymer stamps.

I'll show each card now, starting with the upper left card in the picture and working around, and give you some info about each -

First up, is this sea life card. On this one, I used Method #2, and stamped the bleach images on Misty Moonlight card stock. It did not stamp any of the detail in the images. I did stamp the cluster of coral (or whatever that is) in the bottom right corner, in bleach first...but it didn't show up well enough. That's when I went to plan B, and decided to add some silver embossing. As you can see, the embossing powder stuck to some of my other inked images...but I liked it, so I didn't brush it off. 


Stamps: By the Tide, greeting (non-stampin' Up...no markings on it to tell me who made it).
Ink: Misty Moonlight, Versamark
Paper: Misty Moonlight, Smoky Slate.
Other: Ornate Layers dies, Silver cord, Silver embossing powder, Metallic Pearls (silver)

Second card, I used Method #1.  I embossed these ginko leaves in Silver embossing powder on Gorgeous Grape card stock, and then painted in the bleach using a paint brush.  I used a cheap, plastic paint brush.  It was very interesting to see this bleach out to something that matched Seaside Spray perfectly!  So that's what I paired this panel with to finish the card.

 

Stamps: Loyal Leaves, Band Together
Ink: Versamark, Gorgeous Grape
Paper: Seaside Spray, Gorgeous Grape
Other: Detailed Bands dies, Seaside Spray Metallic ribbon, Elegant Faceted Gems

Next, I went to my favorite - leaves!  I used Early Espresso card stock, and this time I embossed the images in gold.  Again, I used Method #1 and painted the bleach in the leaves.  I love the reddish color I got, and I like that it's not consistent, so there is variation in the leaves.  It paired well with Cajun Craze.

Stamps: Gather Together
Ink: Versamark, Early Espresso
Paper: Cajun Craze, Early Espresso
Other: Tasteful dies, Gilded Gems, gold embossing powder

Last up, I again used Method #1 and painted the bleach in an embossed image.  I embossed these birds in silver, on Highland Heather card stock.  Again, I was happily surprised to see this bleached out to something that matches Seaside Spray exactly.

 Stamps: Free as a Bird
Ink: Versamark
Paper: Seaside Spray, Highland Heather
Other: Ornate Layers dies, Tasteful Textiles embossing folder, Seaside Spray Metallic ribbon, Stitched Shapes dies, Pearls.

I hope you are inspired to drag out some bleach and try it yourself!  I wouldn't put anything with bleach in a scrapbook, or journal, but anything else is fair game!

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment