Saturday, July 11, 2020

Joseph's Coat Technique




It's been a LONG time since I've played with the Joseph's Coat Technique, and it was very cool to go back to this oldie but goodie.  I used six different colors today, which I loved.  I also did some experimenting using a larger font word set.  Keep reading for close-ups of each of these cards.

There are plenty of videos out there if you are a visual learner.  I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, so go forth and find the tutorial that you like the best!  For those that like written instructions, here are the basic steps:

1.  Sponge a piece of white cardstock ALL over with a variety of colors.  I didn't leave any white space on my paper.
2.  Stamp your images using Versamark ink.
3.  Heat emboss using CLEAR embossing powder.
4.  Swipe/smear a water/dye-based black ink (I used Memento Tuxedo Black) ALL over your piece.  The ink will pool up on top of the embossed parts.  That's okay!!!
5.  Take a paper towel and buff off the ink.
6.  I repeated steps 4 & 5 at least twice, sometimes three times...so the black gets darker and darker, which makes a nicer contrast with the colors showing through.

Then it was just a matter of mounting on to a piece of coordinating cardstock, and finishing the card however you want!

The colors that I used to sponge my backgrounds today are:  Bumble Bee, Mango Melody, Magenta Madness, Just Jade, Bermuda Bay, and Gorgeous Grape.

So I'll start with this card - I LOVE the feathers from Tasteful Touches, and how much color they show through!  I mounted it on to a piece of Mango Melody, and added some Black Glitter ribbon.    The greeting is from Band Together.


On this next one, I used the Dandelion Wishes stamps and I stamped it willy nilly to cover as much area as I could.  This time, I mounted it on Bermuda Bay and the roughed up the edges to give it more texture.  I had this Bermuda Bay Thick Baker's Twine from a long time ago, so I used some here.  Again, the greeting is from Band Together.


Then I went on to experiment with some words as the focal point!  I went to one of my favorite stamps from the Occasions catalog earlier this year - Seriously the Best.  I love this larger font of the words.  I only used three colors on this card, and I like it as well.  Please ignore some of the sloppy embossing - I was playing!  I stapled on some old pink Baker's Twine (I think it may be Strawberry Slush), and some new Just Jade ribbon.


Finally, I got to play with some leaves.  My favorite!!!  I used the new Loyal Leaves set, with all six colors.  Mounted my art piece on Magenta Madness, and then on to a Mango Melody card base.  For this greeting, I played with yet another technique (white emboss on black paper, then color over it with Stampin' Blends or Sharpies).  There are some ill-effects to your markers from doing this technique, so I'm not sold on it entirely yet.  Use sparingly!  I brought another oldie, but goodie for this greeting - Bold & Basic Greetings!  This was one of the first greeting sets that I ever bought 20 years ago.  I still love the font.  I also went over the entire greeting piece with the Clear Wink of Stella pen - twice.  Very shimmery.  Finished with some Melon Mambo and Basic Black Baker's Twine. 


I can see more cards using this technique in my future!  It was a fun technique to go back to.   Look through your stamps, and see what you could use with this technique - and then try it!!  You'll love it.

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps:  Tasteful Touches, Dandelion Wishes, Seriously the Best, Loyal Leaves, Band Together, Bold & Basic Greetings
Ink:  Versamark, Bumble Bee, Mango Melody, Magenta Madness, Just Jade, Bermuda Bay, Gorgeous Grape
Paper: Whisper White, Mango Melody, Magenta Madness, Just Jade, Gorgeous Grape, Basic Black
Other: Clear embossing powder (for Joseph's Coat), White embossing powder (for greetings), Tasteful Labels dies, Merry Christmas dies, Detailed Bands dies, Pink Sharpie or Magenta Madness Blends, various ribbons, rhinestones

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment