Thursday, February 23, 2023

Mini File Folder Ephemera Storage Project

Oh. Em. Gee!  I absolutely love how this project turned out!  I got the idea from PinkStrawberryz, and then changed the size, added lots more layers, made the file folders expandable, added a sturdy top closure flap with velcro...but it started with the same concept.  I wanted something that would sit up on it's own, and hold some of my ephemera bits - extra die cuts, punched out stuff, labels, layers, all the little things that we save - thinking we'll use them later.  Turns out I don't go back and use much later, but I MIGHT!  Now that I have this cool organizer.  :)  I'm really just tickled at how it came together.  1000% better than I envisioned it.

This project is definitely one that you're going to need to watch the video, to see how to make all the pieces and how to pull it all together.  This blog post is mainly just to share some photos and all the measurements that I came up with.

Just a reminder that I am generally Live on-line every Thursday at 8:00pm ET.  I am streaming to BOTH YouTube and Facebook simultaneously.  


If you are not able to catch me live, you can watch over on YouTube.  If the picture does not appear below, you can click HERE to get to it on YouTube.


Let me lay out all of the paper measurements and scoring first.  There are (3) basic areas that we need to cut and score in order to build this mini file folder storage album.  The Front & Back Covers, the Top Flap, and the Mini File Folders themselves.

To make this project, I used the following paper:
  • (1) standard file folder that I cut up to make the covers/spine.  If you use cardstock instead, you'll need (2) more pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock.
  • (8) pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock.  
  • (5) pieces of 12" x 12" designer series paper (lots of leftovers).  6" x 6" will not work for this project unless you want to piece different patterns together.
I specifically used a Kraft file folder, Mossy Meadow and Crumb Cake cardstock, and the Favored Flowers Designer Series paper (which is a Sale-a-Bration item, available through 2/28/2023!)

Front & Back Covers with a built-in spine:  (I made mine with actual file folders, but you can use cardstock)
  • (2) file folder pieces or cardstock:  7 1/2" x 7 1/2", score each at 5" on one side.
  • (2) coordinating cardstock:  4 3/4" x 7 1/4" 
  • (2) designer series paper:  4 1/2" x 7"
Top Flap:  
  • (1) piece of cardstock:  7 1/2" x 10", score in half at 5".  Fold and glue together.  This makes a much sturdier top flap closure.  Let that glue dry for a little bit and then put in your score board with the FOLDED edge to the very left.
    • Score at 1 1/2" and 4".  This gives us a 1 1/2" flap on the front side, and a 1" flap to attach to the back side.
    • Score at every 1/8" in between 1 1/2" through 4".
Mini File Folders:  You're making (4) of these.
  • (4) cardstock:  5" x 10".  Score on the short side at 4 1/2".  Turn to score on the long side at 1/2", 1", and 1 1/2" from each end.  This makes the expanding side hinges, and a 1/2" flap at the bottom to attach to the album.
  • (4) cardstock (same color as above):  4 1/2" x 7".  Score on the short side at 4".  This leaves a 1/2" flap.
  • (4) designer series paper:  3 3/4" x 6 3/4".  This will go on the front of the mini file folder.
  • (4) designer series paper:  4 1/4" x 6 3/4".  This will go on the back of the mini file folder.
Again - you will need to watch the video for assembly.  Let's look at some pictures!

This is the inside, when we open the top flap, and we're looking at the first mini file folder.  You can also add tabs at the tops with a label punch.  You have a 1/2" gap between the top of the mini file folders and the top flap.


Side view to show that the mini file folders will lay down on top of each other.  They are adhered to the bottom spine with a 1/2" flap.
 

Another side view.  I used the flower prints on both sides of each mini file folder.  You could certainly mix it up.


I REALLY hope you decide to make one of these!  I think they're a beautiful and easily-accessible way to store some things. I plan to keep mine within reach - maybe this will help me use up my extra bits and bobs!

Don't forget - Sale-a-Bration 2023 AND my February Virtual Workshop both end this Tuesday, 2/28/2023.  Click on my Workshop of the Month page for full details of how you can get a Make-n-Take packet for this month's workshop.

Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

Paper Pumpkin Monthly Craft Kits
Facebook Page:  @tonistampsandmore
Facebook Sharing Group:  Toni's Stamping & Sharing Group
Instagram:  tonistampsandmore
Pinterest:  tonistamps
YouTube Channel:  tonistamps
#tonistamps #stampinup #minifilefolderstoragealbum #minifilefolders #ephemerastoragebook

Gift certificates available anytime!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment