Monday, January 13, 2020

Happy Birthday Donna!


Happy Birthday to our friend Donna!  I made her birthday cake, and didn't want to mess it up by trying to draw or write on the cake - so I made a CAKE TOPPER PICK, and then a matching card, envelope, and tag.  All the things! 

The cakes - (2) 6" layers of vanilla cake on top, and (2) 8" layers of devil's food on the bottom.  Black and Orange frosting.  I thought I had a texture thing to swipe around the sides of the cake, but I was wrong.  I gave it some texture by putting a paper towel on the frosted cake (after you have it in the fridge for about 20-30 mins), and gently rubbing all over so the texture from the paper towel embosses into the frosting.

So let's start with a better look at this cake topper pick.  It's basically a card with two extra long tooth picks glued in between layers of card stock. I think the finished size is 4 1/2" x 6" - but it can be whatever you need.  It's actually a little large for the cake, but this was my first time making something like this.  So the tooth picks allow you to push this down into the top of the cake.


Closer look shows more details -  I started off with a piece of shiny silver paper from a long time ago.  I used a stencil and Nuvo Glimmer paste in Silver Gem, to get that background.  You have to let that paste dry over night.  I actually did two of these, so I could also use a piece on the card.

Then I stamped the big motorcycle from We Can Rise (Unity Stamp Co.), colored it in and hand-cut it.  Again, I stamped and cut two of these, so I could use one on the card.  Die cut the Happy Birthday from Basic Black card stock.  Stamped her name out using Tiled Letters, (Unity Stamp Co.), and hand-cut those as well.

Assembly was easy - a lot of glueing, taping, and dimensionals.   The toothpicks are glued between two layers of Pumpkin Pie card stock.  Finished off with some rhinestones.


The card that I made uses the same glimmer paste-embossed silver paper, and the motorcycle.  This time, I cut the silver paper with the largest size of Wonky Stitched dies (My Favorite Things), to give it a little more jazz around the edges.  Layered that onto some Basic Black cardstock.


Wrapped some Pumpkin Pie/Basic Black Baker's Twine around that, and then popped that layer onto the Pumpkin Pie card base.  Glued the motorcycle down, and added the Happy Birthday and "ready for an adventure", to the front with some dimensionals.  

I don't know if you can tell, but I ran a Clear Wink of Stella over most of the motorcycle for some more shimmer.


This card ended up being bigger than expected, and a kind of weird size - 4 1/2" x 5 3/4"....how did I end up with that???  Geez.  So I made an envelope for it, using my trusty Envelope Punch Board.  I stamped a different motorcycle (Fun Stampers Journey), and some Birthday Backgrounds starbursts randomly all over the Smoky Slate card stock. 


The tag features the same motorcyle and starbursts that I used on the envelope.  I cut it using the Stitched Nested Labels dies, and layered with some more Pumpkin Pie card stock.  I also added a little Happy Birthday, from a retired set, Eclectic Expressions, and punched it out with the Classic Label punch.  Finsih with some rhinestones, and a Jumbo Pewter eyelet.


Whew!  That was a lot of work, but I really had fun making all of these things to go together for her birthday.

Happy Birthday again Donna!  I hope you had a great time at the party!

Supplies you'll need to create these (Stampin' Up, unless otherwise noted.  Items may be retired.):

Stamps: Free Cake, Eclectic Expressions, Birthday Backgrounds, We Can Rise & Tiled Letters (Unity Stamp Co.), Let's Ride (Fun Stampers Journey)
Ink:  Midnight (Catherine Pooler), Smoky Slate
Paper:  Whisper White (Thick), Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie, Smoky Slate, Silver Metallic/shiny
Other:  Stitched Nested Labels dies, Wonky Stitch dies (My Favorite Things), Kaiser Craft stencil, Nuvo Glimmer Paste/Silver Gem, SU Markers (Pumpkin Pie, Smoky Slate, Basic Gray), Classic Label punch, Pumpkin Pie/Basic Black Baker's Twine, Orange Polka dot ribbon, Clear Wink of Stella Pen, Pewter Jumbo eyelet, Rhinestones, extra long tooth picks.
Thanks for visiting, and Happy stamping!

Toni

Shop here
 for your Stampin' Up products, 24/7.  Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment