Sunday, December 10, 2017

25 Days of Christmas 2017 - Day 10


Can you believe Christmas Eve is in 2 weeks?  Yikes!  Time is flying.  Today's project will come in handy for packaging your gifts.  Day 10 of my 25 Days of Christmas 2017 ideas is a gift bag made out of 2 pieces of 12x12 designer series paper.  Lucky for us, Stampin' Up puts 2 pieces of each pattern in the designer series paper packs. 

I love to make my own gift bags, and this is a decent size bag.  Finished size is 7" wide x 8" tall x 2 1/2" deep.  Designer series paper and Sticky Strip (or red-line tape) make it pretty sturdy.  You can't wrap up a brick and put it in here - the ribbon will not hold up to that kind of weight - but it's sturdy enough.


So how did I make this?  Start with your 2 pieces of 12x12.  If the pattern is directional, make sure you take that into consideration when choosing what will be the front vs inside of the bag.  The inside pattern here is the Cherry print.  

1. Situate your paper so it is laying on the score board with what will be the outside of the bag.  These first score marks will make the sides.  Score your papers at 2 1/2" and 9 1/2".  

2.  Turn your paper to the right once, and score at 2 1/2" and 1 1/2".  The 2 1/2" score will be the bottom of the bag.  The 1 1/2" will be folded over for the top.


3.  Cut the bottom (2) score marks out from the paper.


4.  Flip the 1 1/2" edge over onto itself, and secure with strong adhesive.  I used Fast Fuse. 

 

5.  Fold everything so you have this.  You'll actually have TWO of these, one for each piece of paper.  


6.  Now we use Sticky Strip to tape your two pieces together, on the sides.


7. When you've got your sides stuck together, this is what your bottom will look like.  Tape up those flaps.  Again, I used Sticky Strip.


8.  Since I ran the Sticky Strip across the entire bottom flaps, you can see down in the middle of my bag there is tape showing.  This will stick to whatever you put in the bag, so I put a piece of Cherry Cobbler in the bottom of the bag.  Slightly smaller than 2 1/2" x 7".

9.  Punch holes in the top for your ribbon.  You can leave them bare, or add a jumbo eyelet if you have any.  I still have a stash from years ago, and I love added them to bags like this.   String your ribbon through, and you're done!


Here's a close-up of the tag - I used a 2" x 5" piece of designer series paper from this same pack.  Punched one end with the Banner Triple punch, and folded the opposite end over on itself.  Punched a hole in the top to add baker's twine, and added my embellishments.

I made the medallion behind the "season of cheer" piece by punching two pieces of paper out with the Everyday Label punch and criss-crossing them.  I stamped and hand-cut the little tree, popped it up, and painted it with the Clear Wink of Stella pen for some glimmer.


Now that I've gone through my instructions, I went to look for some videos that might help.  I found a couple that will help with the concept.  They cut and assembled a little bit differently, but the basic idea is the same.  Their measurements are different too - and that just changes your finished bag size.  You can make up your own measurements!



Give this a try!  It's a great way to use up the designer papers that you've been holding on to.  I do it myself, so I know...  :)

Stampin' Up supplies that you'll need to create this:

Stamps:  Watercolor Christmas
Ink:  Cherry Cobbler, Garden Green
Paper:  Be Merry designer series paper, Cherry Cobbler
Other:  Everyday Label punch, Banner Triple punch, 2" circle punch, 1/8" hole punch, Whisper White Baker's Twine, Wink of Stella Clear pen, White organza ribbon (retired),  Jumbo Pewter eyelets (retired), Crop-o-dile,  Tombow Liquid Glue, Fast Fuse, Sticky Strip, Mini Stampin' Dimensionals

Thanks for checking out Day 10 of my 25 Days of Christmas 2017 challenge!

Happy stamping,

Toni

Order your supplies from my on-line store here, 24/7.  Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment